Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Why I Trek

My name is Leslie Poster. With a name like that I have to blog, right? The name is new. I recently married the love of my life. We met while students in Ohio and have since moved to Connecticut to begin our careers.

That's part of the reason why I've decided to blog my adventures around Middlesex County. You see, back in Ohio, I was a small-town girl from a little farming community. From pancake breakfasts to spaghetti dinners, basketball games to choir concerts, I was very actively involved in my community. I miss being able to go out and do the types of things I used to in my hometown. It doesn't help matters that I'm in charge of the paper's community calendar, so I spend a good part of my day typing up listings of all the cool things people can do throughout the county.

Most of all I miss being a familiar face about town, but it's hard to find your place in a brand new community. That's why I've decided to embark on this adventure. With the help of a camera, a notebook and a blog, I'm diving headfirst into the Middlesex County community. I'm going to be meeting new people, doing new things, and going new places -- and hopefully having fun along the way.

I'm inviting you, dear readers, to help me learn a bit more about this community with their suggestions via comments on this blog, and I hope that you will join me as I begin my Middlesex Treks.

5 Comments:

Anonymous standtall_Wesleyan said...

I am intimately acquainted with Ohio's rural community; I grew up in one of its small towns (hailing Montpelier, 30 minutes from the Michigan and Indiana borders). I absolutely loved it and miss it. I agree, it had an amazing sense of community. If you don't mind me asking, which town are you from?

May 1, 2010 at 8:47 AM 
Blogger Leslie Poster said...

I don't mind at all! I'm from Wellington, about 40 minutes south of Lorain. It's good to know there are fellow Buckeyes reading.

May 1, 2010 at 12:25 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What day do you post for the week? This is a very useful site. I had no idea all those things were going on last weekend. From Haddam

May 10, 2010 at 4:11 AM 
Anonymous spee said...

If i may suggest some historical fun this weekend, Bushnell Farm is hosting family day on it's property in Old Saybrook. From the description i found elsewhere:

"Bring the family and a picnic to the historic grounds of Bushnell Farm in Old Saybrook Sunday, May 16th, Noon - 4pm. Bushnell Farm is a 17th Century Farm with House, Barns, and more. Take a horse-drawn wagon ride and see live demonstrations of Blacksmithing at the Forge, Cooking on the Hearth, Plowing the Upper Field, Weaving at the Loom, and Tilling the Garden.

Price: Free
Age Suitability: All Ages"

i was lucky enough to spend many days and nights in the farm when it was owned by a friend's family in the 90s and can't wait to see what it looks like now. If memory serves, the pond in the back is the site where the original Turtle prototype (the first military submarine)rests. Great bunch of local farming and maritime history, if your interested.

On a side-note, i'm moving to Ohio in July- Warren area :) GO CAVS!

May 13, 2010 at 9:31 AM 
Blogger Leslie Poster said...

Anonymous from Haddam: I try to post what is going on in the county every Wednesday and attend an event each weekend to write about. I'm glad you find it useful.

Spee: Warren is very nice. You're about an hour from both Cleveland and Akron, and a half hour from Youngstown, so you won't ever be far from something fun to do. If you're driving out there for the move, be forewarned that you'll spend most of your time on I-80 and it is flat and there is absolutely nothing to see. Dreadfully dull.

Hold on tight to that Cavs enthusiasm because the football season -- unless you're a college football fan -- will be torture. The Indians and the Cavs help, but I joke with people back home that I moved to a state without a professional athletic teams because I was tired of the home-team disappointment.

May 17, 2010 at 8:09 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home